Anti-casualisation activists at Warwick have published the following model motion on their blog (No To Casualisation Warwick) – please propose it in your union branches to support the national demo against TeachHigher on 19 June and fund travel for delegations to attend it! The demo has already been backed by Warwick UCU and by a vote of UCU’s National Congress. See you there!
- Post-secondary education is being fundamentally reorganised around the use of casual contracts. Up to one third of staff in HE and FE are on non-permanent contracts.
- Casual workers are paid significantly less, have no job security, and limited career development opportunities.
- Recent campaigns have won secure status or improved pay and conditions for casual workers. Examples include campaigns against ZHC at Edinburgh, and for better conditions for cleaners and fractional staff at SOAS.
- However, to avoid offering regular employment contracts, Warwick University is creating a new ‘internal academic recruitment and administration service’ – piloted at Warwick but with the intention of franchising at universities across the UK. TeachHigher will employ hourly paid staff on worse terms and conditions than they currently endure at Warwick
- Casualisation is an attack on our basic employment rights, and is a central issue and needs to be addressed by every UCU branch.
- TeachHigher is a threat not just to Warwick staff but to everyone working at UK universities – both implicitly through setting a dangerous precedent, and explicitly through its plans for franchise.
- It is possible to reverse this trend towards casualisation.
- However, if outsourcing teaching to agencies is entrenched, it will institutionalise a two-tier academic workforce and permit further outsourcing of academic staff.
- To oppose TeachHigher and support the national demonstration against it, supported by Warwick UCU, on 19th June at 12 noon, Library Road, Warwick Campus Cv4 7AL.
- To organise a delegation of [your branch] members to attend and to donate £X towards travel costs to demo.
More info here.
Facebook event here.